Thursday, 29 May 2014

Rotterdam Sunday


Some of you may be wondering when I'm going to show you Delft. Don't worry: it's coming. Soon. First though, let me show you a slice of Rotterdam, where we went last Sunday on the last sunny day before the dreary weather set in.

I used to dislike Rotterdam. I thought it was busy, noisy, agressive and not particularly attractive. But then I met M, who introduced me to a side of the city up to then unknown to me. Since then I have changed my mind about the place and now think it is dynamic, lively, upbeat and beautifully modern. 

My favourite part of town is the Witte de With Quarter. It's an arty farty part of town - I once heard someone say it reminded them of Greenwich Village NY, which put a smile on my face.  In the Witte de With Quarter you will find wonderful cafes, restaurants, art galleries and some lovely shops - in particular one that sells dancing shoes. I once bought Tango shoes there, but that's stuff for another post. 

The Witte de With Street is a stone's throw away from Museum Park, where the Boijmans van Beuningen Museum is located, as well as the Netherlands Architecture Institute and De Kunsthal (where all those wonderful paintings including some by Picasso and Monet were stolen in 2012 and later found to have been incinerated in Romania - I kid you not). But on Sunday we didn't go there to see some fabulous exhibition or other, we went there to eat cake. Cheesecake to be exact.






Who is that mysterious gentleman in the red trousers, I wonder.

NRC Cafe, where we ate a nice slice of cheescake. They have a woderful menu full of organic goodies.



Time for a slice of cheescake (or two)



Interior shot of NRC Cafe

Interior shot of NRC Cafe

Interior shot of NRC Cafe

Interior shot of NRC Cafe

Boijmans van Beuningen Museum

An interesting object outside the Netherlands Architecture institute. My daughter is convinced the Teletubbies live there. Ah, the wonders of childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit. I love reading your comments so please feel free to leave one (or more, if the mood so takes you) in English and/or in Dutch.