Monday, 2 June 2014

Green jungle

Last Sunday saw a return of the sunny weather we've been enjoying on and off for the past couple of months. It was a good day to stay home, windows open, breeze whispering through every nook and cranny of the house. It was also a good day to lounge about in the garden, soak up a bit of sun and admire all that is growing without any interference from me whatsoever - our garden flourishes on neglect.

There are people in the neighbourhood whose gardens are beautifully manicured and although every spring I resolve to do lots of weeding and planting, I never seem to get round to it. Hence there is nothing in the least bit manicured about our garden (except perhaps the lawn - M is obsessed with achieving a perfect lawn). No, our garden is just a wonderful green jungle that reminds me of my childhood days in New Zealand and I like it that way.

That said, something strange happened on Sunday. I was admiring the leafy foliage in every shade of green known to man, when I found myself complaining observing to M that I thought the garden was a bit... well... too green.




 
Later that day M went to the garden centre (for grass seed - what else?) and surprised me with this beautiful climbing rose. For a splurge of colour. 



 
To show my delight (something I do on a daily basis) I made this delicious crumble for dessert that evening. I have made it for many people and everybody loves it.


Healthy Fruit Crumble
adapted from It's All Good by Gwyneth Paltrow

Fill a baking dish with lots of fruit of your choice. I recommend a combination of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries - fresh or frozen, whatever is available.
80g oatmeal
80g almond meal
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons extra vierge olive oil
1 orange, squeezed
yields: 4 generous servings

  • preheat the oven 200 degrees celsius
  • pour the orange juice over the fruit (it acts as a lovely kind of marinade)
  • in a bowl, combine all other ingredients and rub together to form moist crumbs
  • sprinkle crumbs over fruit
  • bake in the oven for 25 minutes
  • Serve with cream







2 comments:

  1. No bindweed? No brambles? No couch grass? You lucky people. I find them impossible to ignore and equally impossible to eradicate. Sitting in the garden is not as relaxing as it should be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, none of the stuff you mention (I think). Thanks, Lucille, you've just made me realise how lucky we really are :-)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit. I love reading your comments so please feel free to leave one (or more, if the mood so takes you) in English and/or in Dutch.