Saturday, 14 June 2014

Paper diary

Earlier this week I caught a colleague staring at my diary.  I had laid it on the table in the teacher's room and was unpacking my other stuff, when I noticed her stare. I was about to happily receive compliments about the attractive object under scrutiny when she said: "You still have a.... paper diary!?" She couldn't believe her eyes. She was looking at me as if I'd just unpacked not my diary, but a pair of lacy knickers.

It turns out I am miserably behind. I don't have a smartphone or Blackberry thing; I don't have a tablet - heck, I don't even have a laptop. All I've got is an old-fashioned phone with which I can - gasp! - phone and text people, and  a PC up in my study at home. It is that very PC I am writing on right now. 

For all other stuff I have my diary. And what a diary it is.


Full of lovely inspiring illustrations...


And stickers (because big girls love stickers too)...





 Lots and lots of blank pages on which to scribble ideas for lessons and posts...


A secret pocket with all sorts of small cards, equally small envelopes, notepads and whatnot...



 It even has a garland so you can have yourself a little party whenever, wherever...





The colleague in question went on to say she couldn't even begin to imagine how I could live without an iphone. Her phone, she told me, has a little alarm, reminding her of important appointments and dates, and a navigation system so that, wherever she might be in the world, she would never be lost. She could also check Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and goodness knows what else whenever she wanted, twenty-four seven. 

Phew! I find it all quite dizzying.

This may be the underlying reason why I don't want one (yet). The possibility of being online and available every second of my life truly scares the bejeebers out of me.  The idea of being dependent on my phone instead of my brain for appointments and the like makes me fear digital dementia. And as for being lost somewhere in the world: how about asking folks for help, or at the very least reading road signs? 

Anyway. Having said all that I am willing to consider that I may be wrong. That an iphone would serve to enrich rather than overwhelm my life. What are your experiences? Would an iphone help simplify my life? I would love to know.





7 comments:

  1. Ik heb er eentje... Het maakt het leven niet simpeler, geloof het niet. Maar er zonder kan ik niet meer, want handig is het wel... Leuke apps voor foto's (die bruikbaar zijn op Blogger !), als ik geen zin heb om achter de pc te kruipen, facebook openen vanuit mijn luie zetel...
    Maar voor agenda - NO WAY. Ik moet kunnen bladeren, papier voelen, schrijven met een échte pen...
    Fijn weekend !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have an iphone or smart phone, like you my phone is Just a phone. I love it. I spend far too long online as it is....... (although very occasionally if I am driving somewhere new I long for the map capabilites, and then I just out the paper map like in the olden days!)
    and I LOVE your paper diary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my smartphone but I don't use it for any of the things your colleague uses it for! I like my paper diary and notebooks and so do most people I know even if they have all the gadgets as well. I love my phone primarily for instagram which I find is a great adjunct to blogging and for Audible. I love audio books and so many are only available as digital downloads now. I have dozens of audio books downloaded onto my phone which I can listen too with my phone's headphones or in my kitchen while I cook via a bluetooth speaker system I have. Without my phone I would have to burn them onto discs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there!
    I am a paper diary girl. I have a smart phone (BigBean's cast of and just used for text and very occasional phoning) and a tab for internet and email.
    I have fallen for your diary- it is gorgeous.
    Now off to read your past posts, Ax

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved paper, and ink on paper. I learned to read ages and ages and ages ago, from beautiful books at home. My first two years at school had me sitting at a very old wooden desk that actually included an inwell.

    I remember learning how to use my very first fountain pen, and loving the entire delicate process of filling the pen's internal chamber with ink.

    Later on I saw the arrival of ball point pens (biros, to some.) I learned to type on a manual typewriter. I saw and adopted to the arrival of various generations of electric typewriters.

    The technology that we use to communicate with each other gallops on and on. Yes, I love the ease to writing this comment to you on my laptop. Have I given up on communicating via pen and paper? No, no, no.

    I could go on, but think that you will get my drift.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! Yes I still have a paper diary and a reporter's pad without which I would be lost. The phone is a dumb one and quite sufficient for my needs. It is seldom turned on unless I am out and about. My Mac now, well that I love. I also have an ipad, but my use is very modest. I have not yet subscribed to Instagram or Twitter and think I'd better not as the pull to the digital is already affecting the way I conduct my day, and not always for the better. I'm sure I was more productive in the 'old days'.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit. I love reading your comments so please feel free to leave one (or more, if the mood so takes you) in English and/or in Dutch.