Saturday, 5 July 2014

Dreaming of Mallorca...

... is all we'll be doing this year where Mallorca is concerned.  For the past five years we have gone to Mallorca for a week or two during summer. A real luxury, I know.  But this year M and I have decided to stay home in Delft. Part of our house is in desperate need of some TLC and DIY so we'll be busy redecorating. Besides that we'll be spending some days on nice outings in the Netherlands where there is plenty to see and do. We live a twenty minute drive from the beach, same distance from Rotterdam and The Hague, and a forty-five minute drive from Amsterdam. We can also go to the centre of Delft or play tennis. No need to get bored then. After last year's holiday we really had to rethink the whole business of going away, which, after all, costs quite a lot of money. 

For me personally going on holiday is not all fun. I don't like to admit it (in my dreams I am a fearless globetrotter), but I suffer from homesickness,  always feeling a bit on edge and uprooted when I'm away from home. At the same time I love the new smells and sounds of a place - particularly when I'm lying awake at night or when I awaken early in the morning. 

There are more contradictions. I love the heat, but I think it's too hot. I love not having to do anything, but it also makes me sluggish and restless. After spending too much time by the poolside even making a cup of tea seems a giant chore, which is quite ridiculous. I enjoy seeing new people, but don't like seeing - for lack of a better word - sluggish tourists burnt to a crisp, eating junk food and being waited on by the locals. I also miss my kitchen and my own food. I miss being able to bake. I miss being active. Hence, for the time being, no more poolside holidays. 

That is not to say that Mallorca isn't a beautiful island, which it most certainly is. Funnily enough, I often enjoy the memory of a place more than actually being there (go figure). Here are some photos taken two years ago; for some lazy reason we didn't take any last year which I now of course regret.










Do you suffer from holiday stress or homesickness? Do you secretly prefer to stay at home at times? I would love to know.




11 comments:

  1. Je hebt gewoon perfect verwoord hoe ik denk over vakantie...
    En ik had al schrik dat ik een beetje abnormaal was ;-)
    Iedereen beschouwt vakantie altijd als "het hoogste goed"... Ikke dus niet... Als het gebeurt, heel fijn, maar evengoed (liever ?) thuis...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kijk, mooi dat ik niet de enige ben!

      Delete
  2. I really like going away. Not so much on holidays, because I find them a bit stressful. Having to think about all the sh*t I need to bring for 4 kids. Trying to fit it all in the space of 1 seat in our car... Not my cup of tea. Visiting the in-laws is great, but not a holiday for me. Staying in my mother-in-laws house.. well you know.

    But travelling! Oh, if only I could explore again. With just my bike and packaging or with just my backpack and an open ticket. O, to be young again. I appreciated it when I was actually doing it, but I think I could enjoy it even better these days. Never homesick, more the risk of me not returning. Ever. At all. To anyone.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I would enjoy travelling around, experiencing new cultures etc. And I would certainly love to live in another country (again) for a while. I think it's the stagnant, doing-not-much-all-day type of holiday is what I don't particularly fancy anymore.

      Phew, people are complicated.

      Delete
  3. Your children are so cute. I love the photos of Mallorca. I've never been to Europe at all, but would really like to go someday. I do like to take trips now and then, but I prefer it when it's just me and my husband. It's wonderful to go as a family, but it is a lot of work. It's especially hard on me because we always try to stay in an apartment to save money and I end up cooking, cleaning and everything else just like home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment about my children - they are lovely and we are very, very lucky. Mallorca is beautiful too, as are the other Balearic Islands which I have had the privilege of visiting.

      Delete
  4. I always get really stressed before we go, regret ever booking it, but once there I usually enjoy it. I love new sight and sounds. We never have a lying around on the beach type holiday tho as I would be bored stiff after a day, we usually like city breaks with lots to see and do. If we want to lie on the beach we can do that in Cornwall :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recognise this too. I realise now that I much prefer city trips or active holidays to lazy ones. Now Cornwall is a place I would love to visit. I always feel at home in England anyway.

      Delete
  5. I always have mixed feelings about holidays, love the relaxing, hate being restless, really hate the travelling, love the time with family, really like coming home to my own bed xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I popped over from Chickpea to have a nosey and I totally agree with your post. I'm exactly the same, I love going away but I have the same feelings you have. I'm going to have a nosey round the rest of your blog, I'll try not to make a mess and I'll shut the door on the way out x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit. I love reading your comments so please feel free to leave one (or more, if the mood so takes you) in English and/or in Dutch.