Monday, 20 October 2014

Changing his mind

It's been very busy around here. For one thing, last week's test week at school has left me with a pile of marking to do this week. This week is also Autumn break (yip, lots of marking during the holidays, a phenomenon I think most teachers are unpleasantly familiar with) and the kids are home expecting to do nice things. Thankfully, I am not one to let a pile of marking get in the way of that. 

On Saturday, whilst daughter N spent a nice day out and about with M, I took son S to The Hague to see a Scandinavian children's art house film called Beyond, Beyond (Dutch: Johan en de Verenkoning), about a little rabbit who loses his mother to an unnamed illness and has to descend into the Underworld to find her. Though it is a somewhat dark film, there is enough humour to stop it becoming scary or depressing. 

High point of my day, though, was something S said during the ride home. You may recall his sudden preoccupation with his appearance, particularly his hair. Well now, as we were bumping and swaying along in the tram, he suddenly became very pensive. When I gave him a little nudge to see if he was okay (he had, after all, just witnessed a cute little bunny lose his mother to the Grim Reaper), he replied that he was fine. More than fine, in fact. He looked at me thoughtfully and said, "You know, mama, I've changed my mind about something." I lowered my face close to his, waiting for him to go on. "You know how I said I wanted to be cool, how cool was the most important thing," he continued, "well, I don't believe that to be true anymore. From now on I just want to be myself, I just want to be me. Without gel in my hair, because I don't really like gel." To be honest, I was totally gobsmacked by this announcement. What a wise little guy. And he wasn't being flippant either; he hasn't been near the aforementioned pot of gel since.

Yesterday afternoon all four of us spent time clearing up the jungle we call a garden. There was lots of pruning to do. And weeding. And mowing. I can tell you we were quite ecstatic  when the work was done. The garden felt huge and spacious. Decluttered. A place in which one can breathe.


                                                                                                   ----------------------------

In my last post I mentioned I'd been experimenting with coconut flour with some lovely results. I'd like to start by sharing the following recipe with you. It is gluten free. And, might I mention, deliciously light and fluffy.



Grain Free Blueberry Scones
adapted from supergluemom.com

150g almond flour
3 tablespoons coconut flour, sifted
60ml maple syrup
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk (any kind you like)
50g butter, melted
1 teaspoon lemon zest
0,5 teaspoon baking soda
good pinch of fine sea salt
60g blueberries, rinsed and dried 
yields about 12 scones

  • preheat the oven 175 degrees Celsius
  • line a baking tray with baking paper
  • place almond and coconut flours in a large bowl, whisk together
  • add maple syrup, milk, butter, lemon zest, baking soda, and salt
  • mix briefly with a hand mixer until a loose dough forms
  • gently fold in blueberries
  • make about 12 balls with your hands, then shape the balls into scone-like shapes
  • bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown



Though I haven't written any replies of late, each and every one of your comments is always thoughtfully read and appreciated.  Thank you. xxx

 

16 comments:

  1. love the gel story, what a wise young man you have. and the baking looks delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wise child! Good for him! Enjoy your newly spacious garden X

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing to have that kind of an insight when you're young! You must have felt very proud. I was the queen of hair spray when I was 14 and had a fringe that stood up like a fountain - it's been years (!) since I've used it and I didn't like it either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are enjoying your break - can't wait until we are off next week. You little boy sounds much wiser than my big girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww what a lovely thing for your son to say, and, to realise it's best to be yourself he could teach some grown-ups a thing or two! :-) your scones look delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless your young man, how sweet. I have to say I don't miss the endless marking at all (but I do miss teaching). Ah well. These buns look lovely, I might give them a try, assuming coconut flour is just finely ground desiccated coconut. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To Christina and Ingrid: I buy coconut flour at the health food shop, so I'm not sure if it is just finely ground desiccated coconut. I assume it is. What I do know is that it doesn't taste like coconut in its powdered form. I am experimenting with it because it is high in fiber and nutrients and low in carbs. It's naturally sweet, allowing you to reduce sugar in recipes. I've made quite a few things with it which I'm pretty excited about and will be posting about soon :-)

      Delete
  7. Son S is quite a smart little man... A child to be proud of as a mom !!

    Ps - coconut flour, is that just finely grounded coconut ? What you can find in the bakery supply section of supermarkets ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingrid, I've left a comment for you and Christina above :-)

      Delete
  8. Kids are amazing aren't the, constantly surprising us with their little pearls of wisdom. The baking looks delicious and I love the tin! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those scones look yummy. Your son has a wise head on his shoulders!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He certainly is wise. My son is nine and I can barely get him to comb his hair yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your boy sounds as if he has got his head screwed on the right way and the coconut cookies look totally delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely thing for your little one to say. Very wise and so much better that he came to that conclusion himself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wise chap. He has discovered that the best way is his own way. Bravo that boy. And the cookies look yum.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit. I love reading your comments so please feel free to leave one (or more, if the mood so takes you) in English and/or in Dutch.