Saturday, 4 October 2014

Grounding

The past couple of weeks have been strange. Not strange in the sense that anything in this household is wrong or off, but more in the sense that there is something - many things in fact - wrong or off in the world at large. I have found that watching too much news causes my head to buzz with incessant thinking and my body to jitter with unrelenting adrenaline. The day before yesterday I realised it was imperative to calm down. Immediately. To that end I decided to stop watching more than one news bulletin a day, and, especially, to stop looking up news items on the internet. This has nothing to do, I think, with burying my head in the sand, but more to do with protecting myself and my immediate environment. For what use am I to my children and other people in my life if I am highly-strung and emotionally unavailable?

For a while there, I felt swept away by the collective fear of unsafety that seems to have our society in its grip; and although I believe the situation in various parts of the world to be dire, I had forgotten the part of me that feels we also need to Keep Calm And Carry On. Being present in our own lives is the only way to create a better world; being scared of the 'ifs' and 'could happens' will only serve to make things worse and more people unhappy. It helps to remind myself that what I focus on, grows.

Yesterday the children were free and the weather was warm and glorious. The perfect circumstances for a bit of serious grounding, I reckoned. We started the day by going to the tennis club for a fierce match between son S and I. Daughter N collected the balls, a task she loves and takes very seriously. We were gently encouraged in our game by the sun smiling through the trees, warming our backs and faces on the court as we enjoyed whacking the ball back and forth.



Afterwards we strolled through the fields and I gratefully welcomed back a surge of joy I realised I hadn't felt for a while. The grass, the trees, the goats, the cows, the vastness of the sky - everything seemed right, everything seemed real. After weeks stuck in the crazy world of the media and its tales of global misery, I was back. I was home.





11 comments:

  1. Hey Isabelle,
    I have found the news to be particularly fraught and sad too. It has overwhelmed me at times. How lovely to have been grounded by family, nature and the beauty that surrounds us. We all need a little of that every now and again
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isabelle I agree with you wholeheartedly on this issue. I have seriously considered stopping watching the news, listening to radio news, reading the papers etc. Then I think I can't do that because it is my duty to be reasonably well informed and to somehow take my share of the despair, misery and terror that is floating round in the world. The trick is to strike a balance, but I haven't managed that yet. I only know that I didn't see, hear or read any news atall during my fortnight's holiday this year, and it really improved my quality of life. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often find myself crying while watching the news. It gets overwhelming and I have to distance myself from it for a while and remind myself that there are a lot of good, kind, selfless people out there. A walk on the beach balances things out for me, gives me the strength to cope with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have started to ration my news listening/reading. Apart from anything else I don't always want the children to hear it. I usually listened to it once or twice a week and find that keeps me up to date, it is still hard to stomach most of the time tho and I am with you in the need to keep grounded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Isabelle, I must say, I haven't been watching the news much lately either. It's a scary time and I am happy being in a bit of a bubble at the moment. I will check the headlines online, but haven't sat through a bulletin. I will again, have always been a news junkie, but something has switched now I have kids… Hope everything is okay. Cheers, Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have had to reduce my news watching, I am normally a voracious watcher of the news and various news commentary programmes, but I just cannot cope at the moment with all the sadness and horrible news so I am just looking at the headlines once a day to keep up to date and I think that is good. As you say, not burying your head in the sand, just not allowing it to overwhelm and take over. I hope that you find a good balance for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a crazy world full of crazy people - thank goodness there are plenty of us 'normal' people left - we are what makes the world go round - not the 'crazies'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have also found the news particularly bleak and sad lately and thought that it's hard to strike the right balance between being aware of what's happening, of being informed, and just being sucked under by the misery of it all. Reconnecting with nature is such a good way to counter this and to remind ourselves of all we have to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sometimes we all need grounding. here's hoping for some happier news soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The news is just all too dire isn't it. I think you're wise to take a headlines only approach if it's getting to you. The good things in life carry on too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just catching up here, Isabelle, and I know what you mean. The still image of Alan Hemming just before he was killed has been returning to me again and again - I think it was a mistake to show it at all. And now my daughter,who is nearly 15, watches too with increasing disbelief as she realises just what a cruel world we live in.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit. I love reading your comments so please feel free to leave one (or more, if the mood so takes you) in English and/or in Dutch.