Thursday, 1 January 2015

Back, finally


Before I comment on the photo above, I would like to start by wishing you all the very, very best for 2015: may it be filled with an abundance of love, happy times and good health. I would also like to thank you for your comments on my last post. I so agree with Gillian: the longer you stay away from your blog, the harder it gets to start up again. But today, for the first time in weeks, I feel relaxed enough to sit down and write. Have I been uptight, then? Yes, I certainly have. I find December a hectic month as it is. There's the St. Nicolas hysteria, Christmas, all sorts of festive school obligations and this year there was also..... a holiday in the French Alps waiting for us. Wonderful, I know, and you won't hear me complaining about it. However, the preparations and anticipatory anxiety can all be a bit much. In fact, it makes me agitated and impatient. Certainly too agitated and impatient to write. 

Anyway. Now that I've got this "why I haven't written for a while" out of the way, onto something else. May I start by asking you to examine the above photo, taken last week in the French ALPS. Why have I capitalised 'Alps'? Because this specific location is something you need to bear in mind while admiring the photo. There is, you see, something missing in this photo... 

By now you probably can't bear the suspense, so let me help you out here: the thing missing in the photo is... SNOW! We had spent weeks, if not months, looking forward to going skiing. We had booked a little house at the foot of the slopes and fantasised about skiing from the slopes straight into our living room at the end of the day. Can you imagine the look on our faces when we arrived to find pristine green mountains and deserted ski lifts? I mean, I had heard people say "there's no snow" and all, but I didn't think that meant there was literally NO snow. For the first day and a half, hubby M and I were bitterly disappointed. We had spent all that money and effort to go skiing and now our plans were being heavily thwarted. But then we picked ourselves up, realising how lucky we were to be there in the first place. The sun was out full blast, the local folks were very friendly and we were at least getting away from it all.  And in the end, we did get to do a bit of skiing. There was a tiny learner's slope open, which meant daughter N could learn to ski, and M took son S to a much higher area where they skied together to their heart's content for two days. 


On a totally different note: daughter N has a new fascination for the world of mammels. Whilst flipping through her new encyclopedia, she came across a photo of a mole. Now she knows moles only from children's books, so seeing a photo of a real mole was relatively new to her. After staring at the photo in surprise for a few moments, she suddenly cried out: "Hey, Mr. Mole isn't wearing his glasses!" Before I got the chance to reply, she added with a twinkle in her eye: "Oh, no - wait. He must be wearing contacts." Kids - don't you just love 'em.

 

18 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, look forward to the recipes xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Isabelle,
    There was no snow in St Ives either. Olly was most disappointed.
    Welcome back!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very Happy New Year to you all, glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long time no see - we missed you - welcome back to blogland. Wishing you all you wish for yourself in2015.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad everyone is back - been missing your posts and Leanne's and haven't been here much myself in December which has been frantic this year even though I have enjoyed it. Lovely picture of your children. So sorry about the lack of snow but glad you made the best of it. ( I keep using 'glad' - must be a Pollyanna kind of day)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fijn dat je terug bent, Isabelle !! Ik heb je posts gemist !! Maar het kan wel eens deugd doen, eventjes een blogbreak...
    Ik wens jou en je familie al het beste voor 2015 !

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is lovely to see you back Isabelle. I missed your posts. No snow in Scotland either unfortunately. I am glad you got some skiing done all the same. I haven't been skiing for more than 15 years... but my two eldest go with school this winter, both to Italy. I am quite envious actually. I wish you all a happy new year, maybe it bring much laughter and joy. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to see you back, hope you find a way back in to blogging I love to read your posts and read about your corner of the world. A very happy new year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year! I hope that 2015 brings only wonderful things to you and yours! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back, and Happy New Year. Your trip sounds fun indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year to you and your precious family Isabelle. It's really good to hear your 'blog voice' again X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year from Missouri! One of my resolutions is to catch up with email - you're on the list. :)

    Your daughter's mole comment was priceless - and very clever! Probably best not to tell her they don't have any eyes at all. :)

    We have a terrible mole problem here on the farm, but thankfully the Mole Patrol (beagle, stock dog, livestock guard dog, and, believe it or not, the best moler of them all, a giant fluffy cat) is (sometimes) on the job. The interesting thing is that nobody eats them. Moles must taste terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year/Gelukkig Nieuwjaar! Sometimes just being away and taking a break is all you need to come back refreshed and full of energy... snow or no snow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year to you and your family. What a disappointment to get no snow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year! Lovely story about your holiday. And I completely agree that the longer you stay away from your blog, the harder it is to get back ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back, and Happy New Year!

    I'd have been miffed too, and I don't ski, but I do love snow. Here's hoping the people who rely on the snow for their livelihoods are rewarded with a good snow fall soon, such a pity though that it will be too late for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year and welcome back Isabelle! It was lovely to hear from you again on my blog. Everything else just does have to come first at times! Hope you have a lovely 2015 and look forward to hearing more from your part of the world. Cheers, Lucy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit. I love reading your comments so please feel free to leave one (or more, if the mood so takes you) in English and/or in Dutch.